Friday, March 6, 2009

Searching For Something More

2 Peter 3:9
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. (ESV)

God desires all people to come to repentance and unto the knowledge of Jesus Christ.

How many people desire more from their lives, and reject the notion they are simply animals evolving through random cosmic events?

The hosting package for my website administers daily statistics of visitors to the site. It displays limited information like what web browser someone is using, operating system, etc., and most importantly, what keywords were used to land on the site. It is the keywords which provide relevant information; not only for optimizing a site for search engines, but it offers a glimpse of what people are looking for when they come upon the site. The most popular search phrase I have noted is “how to have everlasting life”. Folks, people are out there searching for something more. You may be one of those searching.

For many years, I went to church every Sunday, studied special classes in Catholicism ,and was on a fast track to everlasting destruction. I did not know Him. I simply went through rituals which meant nothing to me. My heart cries often when I learn from the news of someone dying and I ask the Lord “Did he or she know you?” Too often people “know of Him” but “do not know Him”. I also for the great portion of my life knew of Him, but I did not know Him. There is a big eternal difference between the two.

While attending a college, and in search of the ever obscure something before I became an agnostic on the road to atheism; I engaged in Buddhism for a brief period of months. Citing mantras, I had no idea of their meaning along with my new friend who introduced me to it. For all purposes, I might as well been citing “Green beans and I have an exam next week”. Yet while in the meeting room with twenty or so other Buddhists; we would engage in citing mantras, and I always felt “high” when I left; thinking it must be something to it for I felt “euphoric”. Can one see this dangerous parallel today-- even in our churches? The walk of the Christian faith is not about feelings, or going through some series of motions. But I must try my reins here, for I feel like taking off in a different direction.

2 Corinthians 5:7
For we walk by faith, not by sight (NKJV)

It is not about what you can feel, see or touch. It is about Him, whom you cannot see. But because He has not appeared before you and told you to take off your shoes for being on Holy ground; it doesn’t mean He do not exist. The proof lies in everything around us.

In Romans chapter one Paul writes concerning those who do not believe God:

Romans 1:20-25
20) Ever since the creation of the world his eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things he has made. So they are without excuse;
21) for though they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their senseless minds were darkened.
22) Claiming to be wise, they became fools;
23) and they exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling a mortal human being or birds or four-footed animals or reptiles.
24) Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the degrading of their bodies among themselves,
25) because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. (NRSV)


Matthew 4:17
From that time Jesus began to preach and to say, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." (NKJV)

Many people think they have to change themselves to accept Jesus as their Savior. But they have it backwards. It is His goodness you rely on, not yours. We cannot rely on our acts, morals, or values to be saved--only on Him. Good acts will not save you. Only He can. You simply come to Him as you are, then you will be transformed through Him.

I spent many years searching for something, then stopped. But there were occasions I wondered how this world, this universe could exist with the degree of order we see? And I never scientifically accepted the theory of evolution; even as an unbeliever, and even as an atheist. If you are searching, call out to the Lord. Even if you feel foolish call out to Him, and even ask Him to help you believe. There is a purpose to your life and a reason for your existence. Our time on this planet is just a vapor, and less than a millisecond compared to eternity. I can say this: once I found Him, and accepted Jesus as my Savior, I realized the reality of Him and began to see Him operate in my life in ways I never could see before. When you find the Truth, you know it and the void you could never define before in your life--becomes filled.

1 John 3:1
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. (NKJV)

Romans 10:9-10
9) because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10) For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. (ESV)