Saturday, July 5, 2008

A Few Things On Abortion

The Word is clear that life is precious in the sight of God. Humanism has eroded the thought processes of men and women concerning unborn children, and this philosophy attributes more rights to the mother than the unborn child. This belief system is more prevalent among college educated adults, but astonishingly some who profess to be Christians are also pro-choice. For nearly 15 years, I concurred with the humanists, until I became a born-again Christian. To the natural mind, an argument for pro-choice may seem logical and fair; but ultimately, the real issue is to who’s authority are you subject to? Is it to God or to humanism—the ideologies and philosophies of man-kind?

The National Right To Life Organization reports since 1973 after the passage of Roe vs. Wade there has been over 48,589,993 abortions (using data collected from 1973 to the year 2004). Although current trends indicate a sizable decrease in abortions, millions of other lives have been destroyed.
Reference: http://www.nrlc.org

The abortion rate among teens ages 15 to 17 has declined by 45 percent since 1990, from 26.5 abortions per 1,000 teen females in 1990 to 14.5 abortions per 1,000 teen females in 2000. Overall, teen abortion rates have been declining since the late 1980s….More than one-third of all teenage pregnancies in the U.S. end in abortion.
Reference: Child Trends Databank

Can you imagine? I never thought our society would see a day when pregnant 15 and 16 year olds seem commonplace; yet even the secular world consider it a major social problem. Look at the music videos, the Saturday shows geared to young people…little girls in makeup; trying to appear alluring and sophisticated to the opposite sex. Children hardly get to be children anymore, and sexual temptations come their way very early these days. Additionally, we got many parents, who don’t watch their children and have not established a moral foundation in themselves, let alone their kids. Older predators lurk in the shadows, manipulating teens on Myspace and other internet sites, seducing their young impressionable minds. And "thanks" to godless views on sex in mainstream society; prevailing Western culture shrugs its shoulders to teenage sex, chalking it up to being the norm.

These behaviors, although related, are for another discussion at some future date. Abortion destroys not only the life of the unborn child, it often destroys the lives of the mothers, and greatly impacts the other people involved in the process. Before going on, it is necessary to take a brief look at the unborn in light of a few scriptures.

JEREMIAH 1:5
Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.


God of course, being God not only states “I formed thee” to Jeremiah, but further says Jeremiah was sanctified and ordained as a prophet before he came out of his mothers womb. Jeremiah is not a blob of fetal tissue, but a human being with a spirit, and with a purpose.

In the gospel of Luke, observe John the Baptist, yet to be born, filled with the Holy Ghost inside Elizabeth’s womb! Furthermore, he leaps with joy inside Elizabeth at Mary’s good news of carrying the Son of God.

Luke 1:15
For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.


Luke 1:44
For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.


Abortion is typically a selfish act. Feminism and humanism present abortion in socioeconomic and political power terms, and these philosophies do not bring themselves in subjection to the Word of God. The issue therefore becomes not of womens' status in a male-dominated societies, but whether God’s Word is true. The standard humanistic assumption is that “religion” is a form of social control. To many feminists this translates to attempting to control women politically, socially and economically by limiting what choices they can make over their own bodies. Even Christians struggle in this area if they allow reasonings to dominate their thinking. Whether a person refuses to believe the Word of God does not change the fact that He is as He is, and He means what He says in His Word.

I feel strongly to say something to all born-again mothers out there who have committed abortion(s). It is under the blood of Jesus. Consider what David said concerning the illness, and eventual death of his child. I chose the Good News Translation as it offered more clarity:

2 Samuel 12:16-23
16 David prayed to God that the child would get well. He refused to eat anything, and every night he went into his room and spent the night lying on the floor.
17 His court officials went to him and tried to make him get up, but he refused and would not eat anything with them.
18 A week later the child died, and David's officials were afraid to tell him the news. They said, "While the child was living, David wouldn't answer us when we spoke to him. How can we tell him that his child is dead? He might do himself some harm!"
19 When David noticed them whispering to each other, he realized that the child had died. So he asked them, "Is the child dead?" "Yes, he is," they answered.
20 David got up from the floor, took a bath, combed his hair, and changed his clothes. Then he went and worshiped in the house of the Lord. When he returned to the palace, he asked for food and ate it as soon as it was served.
21 "We don't understand this," his officials said to him. "While the child was alive, you wept for him and would not eat; but as soon as he died, you got up and ate!"
22 "Yes," David answered, "I did fast and weep while he was still alive. I thought that the Lord might be merciful to me and not let the child die.
23 But now that he is dead, why should I fast? Could I bring the child back to life? I will some day go to where he is, but he can never come back to me."


I really believe mothers who know Jesus Christ, and have repented from abortions in their past, will be reunited with their children. The Lord has forgiven all who seek forgiveness for aborting their children; therefore, women who have repented must forgive themselves, and the people in their lives should forgive them as well. Too many times Christians have been harsh and discriminatory to those who have repented for abortions; saying stuff like “I don’t see how any mother could kill their unborn child”. How? Through the blinding power of satan. Through selfishness, ignorance, and deceit. I am not discounting the sinfulness and murderous act of abortion. However, it’s very easy to point to a person’s sin and continue to hold them accountable when they no longer condone or engage in that sin. When a person has repented, and demonstrated a turning away from, we need to accept them. Instead of supporting these women for their acts of repentance, they often find condemnation and contempt from other believers; and sometimes even from church leaders. God forgave Moses, David, and Paul for murder. And if He forgives them for murder, He will forgive anyone who confesses the sin of abortion; turning from it in their hearts and in their actions.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.


The following is a very moving testimony from woman who committed abortion:

Amazing Grace
Case Study: Carolyn "Allen"

I was 24 years old, and had recently had sex for the first time—outside of marriage. I had grown up in a Christian home and was already ashamed and ambivalent about my sexual relationship. Then I got pregnant right off the bat.

I had a pregnancy test at my ob./gyn. and she told me she didn't think I was pregnant. She thought I might have a tumor, because my uterus was enlarged. I "prayed" for cancer. But I turned out to be pregnant; I found out the next day.

I was panic stricken. I couldn't believe I was pregnant. I immediately blurted out, "I have to have an abortion." I had never even thought about it before, but that was the first thing that came to mind. I told my boyfriend I was pregnant, but we didn't discuss what to do. I left him just assuming I would have the baby.

I told no one else. I had asked my doctor for sleeping pills until I could have the abortion four days later; I don't think they worked. I didn't want to think; I just wanted to get it over with.

I wondered if my baby knew what I was planning. I talked to my baby and apologized. But mainly I just wanted it to be over. I thought I could cover my sin, erase the past few months, break off my relationship with the father, and start over—just as though none of it had ever happened.

My abortion was a cowardly, selfish decision. I saw it as my whole life being "over" if I stayed pregnant. I didn't even consider any other options. I chose myself over the baby.

I had a D&C abortion at a women's hospital in Washington, D.C., under general anesthesia. I was scared and upset, and when they came to put an IV in my arm I told them I didn't want to be put to sleep until I had seen my doctor. They told me it was just vitamins, but then put the anesthesia in anyway. So I don't know to this day whether my own doctor (a woman) did the abortion, or one of the men who was standing there as I went to sleep. I just remember feeling the stuff in my arm, calling out "No!" and then I was out. I don't mean this to say I was going to change my mind about the abortion. I wasn't.

When I woke up in recovery, I asked if they would just tell me if it was a boy or a girl. A nurse harshly responded, "It's just tissue. There's no way to tell."

I took a cab to the hospital and took one home. I wanted to do it all by myself, so no one would know. I felt so alone.

I felt a huge, gaping hole, an emptiness, right away. I also felt terrible guilt. I turned away from God completely, because I could not face Him with my abortion. I felt I had passed the point of no return—just gone too far. That was an unforgivable sin. And I had gone into it knowing that. It was sort of like I sold my soul.

I immediately began a pretense. I went back to work ("I was just a little under the weather last week," etc.) I tried hard not to think about it.

I did have to tell the baby's father. He was very hurt and upset, but he said he understood and he still wanted to marry me. I had planned to break it off, but now I thought that no one else would ever want me, and I had hurt him so much. So I married him.

My wedding was three days after my baby's due date. I pasted a smile on my face and pretended to be a happy bride, but I was thinking about my baby.

I began to drink a lot to be able to get to sleep, to not think. My relationship with my husband went downhill immediately. I now understand the rage and hurt he must have felt over my aborting his child without even telling him first. But I was just so wrapped up in my own hurts I didn't think about that then. We never talked about it.

He was abusive, and I accepted it. I would hear in my mind, "So what's your problem? At least he didn't kill you. You killed your baby!"

I wanted to die, but I was afraid of hell. I even felt guilty about not committing suicide: "You didn't have any problem killing your baby. Why get cold feet now? You deserve to die! You're not only a murderer, you're a coward!" I wanted to be in a coma. I guess I thought I could wake up in 50 years or so and be able to deal with it then.

Six years later, we were divorced. I had been stuffing my feelings down or anesthetizing them with alcohol so long, and wearing a mask and pretending for so long, that I felt numb. I remember getting out of the car to go into a grocery store one day and thinking, "I'm even just pretending to go to the store. I don't even exist." I felt like a zombie.

The abortion changed me in every way. I went from being an outgoing person who loved friends to being a hermit, not wanting to be close to anyone. I thought they would hate me if they really knew me. I became a heavy drinker—probably bordered on becoming an alcoholic. I ran from God and hated myself. I accepted abuse and felt humiliated over that, and all the while I had this gnawing emptiness. For 12 years I was in a state of non-growth—just existing.

I became a Christian while I was separated, shortly before my divorce. At that time, I asked God to forgive me for my abortion, but I still felt so numb. I didn't cry about my baby or anything. I felt hard-hearted and unable to really confess. I wondered if I was really sorry, or just regretted what had happened to me.

I told a pastor about my abortion, but just in a list of things wrong. He didn't mention it again and neither did I. Then I saw a Christian counselor who tried to convince me that I was abused as a child (I wasn't) and we didn't deal with the abortion at all.

Three and a half years ago, I went through a support group that used Women in Ramah, a Bible study by Linda Cochran. I was finally able to face my abortion. I found God's promise to "take away my heart of stone and give me a living heart of flesh." I asked Him to do that for me and He did.

I finally was able to get over myself and think about my baby, come to love my baby, and then grieve for my baby. And I was really able to understand God's forgiveness—that all my self-punishment and misery could not atone for my abortion, that there was nothing I could do to pay for it, that Jesus died on the cross for my abortion and all my other sins, and paid for my sins in full. God not only forgave all my sins, He brought me peace and joy. Real joy!

My baby's name is Callie Anna. Anna is the name God gave me, and it means grace. Now, when the "accuser" attacks, even my baby's name reminds me of God's grace and forgiveness. Doing the Bible study was the best thing I ever did for myself and I thank God for it.

Now that I have found healing and forgiveness, I am once more developing friends, and am able to serve God however He chooses to use me. I know God works everything for good, and I have seen Him use me to help others now. After working through my abortion, and seeing how very much God values each one of His creation, I am less critical of others, and tend to see all people as precious in God's sight.

The Post-Abortion Review 7(4) Oct. - Dec. 1999.
Elliot Institute, PO Box 7348, Springfield, IL 62791-7348
Additional material is posted at www.afterabortion.org