Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Seasonal Musings

I grew up watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special; and found its pink and aluminum Christmas trees amusing as a child. Now fuchsia colored trees have taken off. I have also seen blue and purple ones in various department stores. Increasingly, some of the tree ornaments look like multi-horned gismos. I guess on the bright side a person can sell them off to a farmer to scare off crows from munching on their hard grown produce.

Listening to the radio, I hear 95% ho ho ho, Santa baby, and so forth. Infrequently, songs about the Savior are played. Now I am talking specifically about stations which are not marketed as Christian radio.

I cannot recall exactly where, but people have been putting up billboards saying something to the effect "Reason is the reason for the season". You know, I don't celebrate holidays I do not believe in. If people do not believe in God, why do some devote so much time organizing against Him? Ironically, It becomes a religion in itself. Most of these tactics are devised simply to evoke controversy, but I can tell you as a former atheist, Christians and their beliefs never bother me. I had no need to "disprove" God, or intentionally upset people with different beliefs.

The non-believer will never fill the void that nags them, for indeed they are wrong. He--the Living God--the Lord Jesus Christ is REAL! We will one day stand before Him, and we will live eternally in one of two places. Why does a person cringe at His name--Jesus? In their spirits, which is void of Him, something is wrong. But existential philosophies, reasonings, and fellowship with God-hating believers will never completely remove this uneasy feeling.

Yet, as He did in my case, He calls out to them.

Could He be calling out to you today?

John 3:16-17

16) For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
17) For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him
might be saved.


Isaiah 9:6
For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.