Saturday, February 21, 2009

Idols And The Prophetic

*Here is an interesting article taken from this site of prophetic archives. It's a timely subject as many false prophets abound idolizing their ministries, their so-called prophetic gifts, and worshiping their prophetic peers. However, even some real prophets have to struggle with some of the issues discussed below--such as pride or taking their eyes off of what God has called them to do and focusing too much on their objectives. Idolatry can be an issue for any child of God, whatever the calling may be. Read this article directly below:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Modern Idols And False Prophets

Terry Somerville


Jeremiah 23:16 "Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they teach you vanity; they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of Jehovah."


In both the old and New Testament we are repeatedly warned about idols and false prophets. Today, both are in the church. The idols look Christian, and the prophets may do miracles and signs! They may even speak true words like Balaam. But he was a false prophet because he did not lead the people into faithfulness to God.


The issue here is not the power to prophecy, signs etc, it is the heart of the prophet, his character and teaching. The true ministry of a prophet is to bring fidelity to Christ, but as we shall see there is much false prophecy when idolatry increases in God's people.


Jeremiah 23: 21 I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied. 22 But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.


Mt 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves


Mt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.


True and False Sources of Prophecy


True prophecy is inspired by the spirit of the Lord. But the scripture makes it clear that God's prophets may speak from other sources! Note carefully how prophets can speak from their own heart and spirit but think it is the Lord!


Sources Of Prophecy


1. The prophets own heart


Ez 13:2 …say thou unto them that prophesy out of their own hearts, Hear ye the word of the LORD;

Jer 23: 26 How long shall there be lies in the heart of the prophets. They are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;


2. The Prophets Own Mind


Jer 23:16 They speak a vision of their own minds, and not from the mouth of the LORD.


3. The Prophets Own Spirit


Ez 13:3 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing!


4. A Demon


Jeremiah 23:13 And I have seen folly in the prophets of Samaria; they prophesied in Baal, and caused my people Israel to err"

Micah 2:11 If a man walking in the spirit and falsehood do lie, saying, I will prophesy unto thee of wine and of strong drink; he shall even be the prophet of this people.


Idols In The Heart Of Christians and The Prophets


Idol worship still tempts Christians converts in India. They believe certain fears, needs or desires may be answered by these false gods. Why do we think our spiritual life in the west is any different just because we don't bow to a graven image? Idolatry of the heart is rampant! As far as the Lord is concerned it is real idolatry and serving an image in the place of God!


Here is how it idolatry of the heart works.


1. Our Heart Is Gods Temple


I Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?


2. Idols Can Be Taken Into The Heart


Ezekiel 14:3 Son of man, these men have set up their idols in their heart, and put the stumblingblock of their iniquity before their face: should I be enquired of at all by them?


3. Images and Pictures In The Heart Are The Idols


Ezekiel 8:10 behold every form of creeping things, and abominable beasts, and all the idols of the house of Israel, pourtrayed upon the wall round about.


4. Covetousness (Desiring These Images) Is Idolatry


Colossians 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:


5. The Flesh Serves The Idol Resulting In Unrighteousness


James 3:14 But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast and be false to the truth. This wisdom is not such as comes down from above, but is earthly, unspiritual, devilish. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there will be disorder and every vile practice.


The Question is, what are the pictures, ideas and images portrayed in your heart? What desires possess you? Are they Kingdom ideas or western culture?


My Own Experience


Many years ago the Lord confronted my about my idol worship. It was a revelation. I had three idol-pictures in my heart, covetous desires that I served. He revealed them by putting me through difficult circumstances. I needed to smash them down!


1. The Idol Of Ministry

I had a picture in my heart of "successful ministry". Even though it was all about REVIVAL, the pictures on the walls of my heart were created by the idols of our culture. Success, fame, youth, size, power etc. I prayed for it, prophesied it, and preached it. Because it was religious I could not see that my ministry had become my idol. My flesh served the idol. I was glad or depressed depending on the results.


2. The Idol Of My Wife

I also had an idol-picture in my heart of what I wanted my wife Karen to be like. It was an image of how I wanted her to look and act. I had fallen in love with this picture in my heart I coveted, instead of loving her. My flesh served the idol because I was glad when Karen was like the image, and upset when she was not.


3. The Idol Of My Home

God used our circumstances to expose this one. We moved to Campbell River from a water front home in Bermuda. For several years I would see images of the home we left behind every morning when I put my contact lenses in. I rebuked the devil but it was not him, it was my idol controlling my heart! I was miserable and tormented but could get free in my heart until I smashed this idol.

The Idols Of The Church Are Producing Todays False Prophets


The idols of our culture are being served in the church. But we don't see them because they are often equated with Christianity. Perhaps the greatest one is the idol of revival! I believe in genuine revival. But what the prophets are prophesying and what the people are chasing is NOT revival. It is an IDOL OF REVIVAL.


REVIVAL IDOLS

  • Success and fame. Everyone will come!
  • Size - We'll "catch it" and our church will grow.
  • Money - the offerings will bring financial blessing
  • Power and Influence. We will be respected as leaders
  • Spectacles of spiritual power


THE PROPHETS OF REVIVAL

The idolatry around the church today has produced many prophets of revival who speak from their own minds and spirits. They serve these idols in their hearts. They rely on spectacular revelations to boost their ministries. The draw is signs and wonders and spiritual experiences. Believers serving the gods of the land will run because of the name and fame of these ministries. They say "I am of Paul, I am of Appolos", it is not the Lord.


Check Out The Prophets and Their Prophecy


1 Thessalonians 5:21 but test everything; hold fast what is good,

1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.


Here are Some Tests for Prophecy and Prophets


1. The Word Of God – does it fit the Word of God ?


Psalms 119:160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.


2. The spirit of the prophecy – does it bear witness of Christ in word and spirit?


1John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.


3. The character of the message – Does it lead to holiness?


Jer 23:22 But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.


4. Confirmation - Do other prophets and prophecy agree?


1Cor.14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh (discern) what is said.


5. The character of the messenger


Jer 23:14 I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness:

21 I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied.


Conclusion - The Church Must Repent Of Her Idols


The great need of the day is cleansing of the church from the idols of the land. We should not be surprised at the behavior of ministries in our day. We are in the grip of a terrible idolatry that rules much of the church and inspires many prophets. Most faithful Old Testament prophets could not convince God's people they had a problem with false gods. Many prophets ended up serving those false gods in the name of Jehovah! The same is true today.


It is time for a great repentance, and abandoning of the idols of our time. We pray that God will give us eyes to see.


I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Revelation of John 3:18